Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Wade's Mill: Herb Beer Bread

As quick breads go, Wade's Mill's herb beer bread is far from the worst I've ever had, but unfortunately it's not anywhere close to the best. I will say, however, that it was probably the easiest to assemble. Besides the one pound bag I bought through Retail Relay, this mix required exactly one other ingredient: a bottle of beer.
Made with Starr Hill's Love and a drizzle of olive oil on top, the finished product came out a bit chewier than I expected, and on its own I wasn't crazy about it. After a pat or two of butter, however, it was pretty good. I'm still debating whether or not it was worth a bottle of Love, though. One the one hand, local wheat and local beer equals local bread, so yay local. On the other, I like to drink my good beer, not eat it (though I did taste many of the Love's flavors in the bread, which was kinda cool).

I don't know. I think I'll try it again with another beer I'm not quite as fond of and see what happens. For less than $4 for all the ingredients combined, I can afford to play with it a bit.

Next evening update:  This stuff, once thickly sliced and toasted after 24 hours in the fridge, was way better today. Butter still made all the difference, but the added texture from toasting in a 400 degree oven really improved the taste and texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment