Friday, June 18, 2010

More squash...but aren't they cute?

I seem to be on a bit of a squash kick lately, but I just couldn't pass up this trio of baby rounds from Down Branch Farms via Retail Relay (or Relay Foods, as they are now called). Pretty as the were, I couldn't bear to do anything but simply halve, season, and roast them. As for the leftover zucchini and yellow squash from last week: they had a date with my shredder.
Together with a carrot, an egg, and some herbs, flour, and panko, those two leftovers became the other part of my "squash two ways" dinner: crispy squash fritters, which I served over a sriracha-laced ranch dressing (not very local/organic, I know, but tasty in a pinch).

And in case looks aren't enough to get you to enjoy fresh seasonal squash, here's another tidbit: Summer squash contains vitamin C as well as beta-carotene, folate, and fiber. These nutrients make summer squash a great way to help prevent cancer, heart disease, and diseases of inflammation such as arthritis and asthma...and the fiber makes them satisfying, so you won't be hungry later.

AND, to give Down Branch Farms another plug (in case you didn't click the link above), they're selling squash blossoms now, which are great for stuffing with all kinds of things.

Get you some!

No comments:

Post a Comment