Sunday, June 6, 2010

Horse & Buggy Produce: Couple's Share

On Friday I got my most anticipated order from Retail Relay yet: my first share of fruits and vegetables from Horse & Buggy Produce. I felt kinda like the cooks on Food Network's Chopped, opening their black mystery baskets to uncover the assorted goodies inside.

I can't say I was disappointed by the variety. This week's 'mystery basket' contained:

3 russet potatoes
1 head of bibb lettuce
1 head of red romaine lettuce
about 1 pound of bing cherries
about half a pound of English peas
1 head of green cabbage
2 red tomatoes
10 or 12 stalks of asparagus
1 medium cucumber
2 crookneck squash
2 zucchini
about 1.5 pounds of popcorn kernels

I wondered if my $27 would have stretched farther at the supermarket, and I concluded it probably would have, but considering all this food will likely be twice as good, I wasn't about to fuss. Plus, with the pound of organic chicken I bought and the fresh fish my father-in-law caught for us yesterday, ideas for the coming week's dinners came almost instantly:

(in no particular order)
Potatoes au gratin with summer salad

Panko and herb-crusted chicken with asparagus and sliced tomato

Puff pastry-wrapped fish fillets with lemon & herb butter and summer salad

Veggie and (insert whole grain here)-stuffed squash with bruschetta

BBQ chicken with fresh cole slaw and peas

I may need to do a little supplementary supermarket shopping, but I'm excited that it won't be too much. Let's hope everything comes out as planned (and that I can remember to take pictures).

No comments:

Post a Comment